Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Don't mow your lawn!

I'm not going to mow my lawn this year. (I didn't last year either!) I used to mow it regularly, dutifully, faithfully. I used to mow it even on the hottest day of summer, but I hated every minute of it. It seemed like my lawn could sense my disdain, because it always seemed to produce more weeds than grass. No matter how hard I worked, it was the worst looking lawn on the block. I continued mowing because it was the "right thing to do". The "manly" thing to do. It was expected.

My next door neighbor Pete owns a landscaping company. He rocks at mowing! One of his mowers is probably worth more than my car. He makes his lawn look like the outfield at Camden Yards. He begged me to let him take over. He even offered me a great price. I resisted at first, but finally I gave in. It felt a little weird at first, watching him zoom around my lawn. After a while though I got used to the idea that "I have a lawn guy". My grass has NEVER looked better, and Pete even managed to get rid of the weeds. (Maybe that's why he wanted to mow my lawn in the first place.)

I've learned something from not mowing my lawn. I'm not going to pretend to be be good at things I suck at. I'm not going to pretend to be passionate about things I'm not. Like my neighbor Pete next door, I have learned that there are people who are passionate and better equipped to handle areas I struggle with if I will only let them. At actionchurch I want to surround myself with a leadership team made up of people who are better equipped, more talented, and overall "better" than me. I want to allow them to passionately do things I would do just because it was expected!

How about you? Are you doing "what is expected", or what you are passionate about? There will always be things we must do that we do not enjoy, some of them are good for us. However; wouldn't life be better if we played to our strengths and "outsourced" our weaknesses? Who knows, the grass just might be greener...